Saturday, June 30, 2012

Is it summer yet?

How is it possible that every time I turn around, two weeks have passed me by? Must be summer. That would be a good excuse except that it is not summer here, yet. Technically, my kids still have 3 weeks of school left before summer vacation. But we'll be visiting home and family in Colorado in just two weeks, so for my kids and I at least, summer is only 2 weeks away. Yipee!!

Yes, school years are long in Japan. The school year starts in April - the reason for this is so School Entrance Ceremony pictures can be taken under the Cherry Blossoms that inevitably stand in front of the school's gate. Tradition. The first trimester then carries on from April until about the 21st of July. Summer break traditionally ends on Aug 31st and kids go back to school on Sept 1st. The second and longest trimester runs from Sept until the end of the year with winter break starting somewhere around the 26th of December until about the 8th of January. The third and shortest trimester of the school year then lasts only from January until about the 25th of March. The typical Japanese student has only 5 weeks of summer vacation. You can see now why American summer vacations of nearly 2 1/2 months are unfathomable.

I've been scrapping quite a bit actually over the past few weeks. Mostly I'm using pictures of my precious nieces and nephews that I took last summer. It only took me nearly a year to use them. I think knowing that I get to see them all again very soon inspired me.

 all papers and elements from Family Affair and Family Affair Wordies by Alamama's Pressed Petals
page template is by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
font is 1942 Report

 papers and most elements from Chase Your Dreams by Bella Gypsy
page template is by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs

 papers and elements from Fleur de Jardin by Mari Koegelenberg, Krystal Hartley, 
HeatherRosseli  and Jenn Barrette
font is Uncertain Tense by Darcy Baldwin
page template is by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs

 papers and elements from Collect Moments by Bella Gypsy
page template by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
font is Uncertain Tense by Darcy Baldwin

 all papers and elements from Family Affair and Family Affair Wordies by Alamama's Pressed Petals
page template is from Sketchology: Spritely by Bella Gypsy
font is 1942 Report

 papers and elements from Collect Moments by Bella Gypsy
page template by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
font is Uncertain Tense by Darcy Baldwin

In other news, I'm thinking about buying an iPad. I'm at a loss as to whether I should buy the wifi-only version or get one with 3G as well. Most of my friends have the wifi only version and say its enough. And I know it would be mostly enough for me as well while here in Japan. But one of the main reasons why I want one is to use over summer break (of course that's not all) for myself (business responsibilities) and kids (homework, Japanese friends, etc). I'm 99% sure that my parents do not have wifi in their home so therein lies my dilemma. I definitely don't want a monthly payment hanging over my head for 3G though. I wonder if I can rent a mifi while in the states...

Okay, my rambling is done.

I thank you so very much for stopping by my little corner of the web and I hope you'll be back soon. I pray you are enjoying a happy, safe and fun summer wherever you are.

1 comment:

Chloé said...

2 weeks... Well you're luckier than me, I feel like the whole first semester has taken me by surprise! o_0

You already know how much I LOVE your LOs, so I won't ramble too much about how beautiful they are. t's hard, though!

And once again, I love that you share all those "japanese secrets"!